Roof maintenance is usually handled by your roofing specialist, but there are a few things you can do to maintain your roof. This guide will go over a few simple maintenance tips, and you'll learn why roof maintenance is so important.
Dangers Of Roof Neglect
You should be aware of what might happen when your roof is not taken care of. This should help you understand why it is important to keep up with roof maintenance.
The following are just some of the issues that might arise when a roof is unattended:
- Water could seep into your home or behind the walls of your home. This could cause mold or mildew in your home and compromise the structure of your home.
- Your home could get infested with pests if your roof has holes.
- The electrical wiring in your home could be compromised if you have a leak; this could possibly cause a fire hazard.
Signs You May Have an Issue
The following are just some simple and easily detectable signs that your roof may need some attention:
- Loose shingles
- Rust, especially near chimneys, vents, or wherever you see nails
- You notice shingle granules in your gutters
- Make sure that your shingles do not seem bent or out of shape
Be sure to talk to your roofing specialist if you notice any of these signs, because your roof might need to be reworked or replaced at this point.
Simple Maintenance Tips
You can avoid premature issues with your roof by taking care of your roof on your own with some of the following suggestions:
The first thing you want to do is clean up your roof. The reason you want to do this is because debris can clog up your gutters, which could trap water on your roof that could prematurely weaken the surface. You should also make sure that you clean your gutters with a gutter cleaner that you can purchase from your local hardware store.
The next thing that you might want to consider is having your tree serviced if you have one near your roof. Having a tree close to your roof will force you to clean your roof more often because of the leaves. You can either trim some branches, or just have the tree removed.
You can talk to a roofing specialist, such as GBS Enterprises Roofing, about other things that you can do to make sure your roof is taken care of and that you are taking all the preventative steps that you can.